Sunday, April 3, 2011

Stockton gets a bad rap

This city has been called many things from an All American City, the Port City, and recently dubbed the worst city in America. If you look around, there are some really beautiful things to see in this city along with some really cool people.

Walk or drive along Acacia Street heading east off of Pershing Ave and you will see some of the most beautiful yellow flowers in bloom all along the street. Come to find out, those beautiful flowers are actually weeds; beauty found in a weed.  Have you ever taken a stroll or listened to the music in the park during the summer at Victoria Park? How many of you have visited the Haggin Museum? The museum houses some gorgeous paintings and some great history of the San Joaquin Valley, Stockton, and the foothills. Stroll through the campus of the University of the Pacific with its towering trees and listen to the hymns coming from the Burns Tower.

If it is people you seek to meet, visit Empresso Coffeehouse on the Miracle Mile. Further north, walk around Lincoln Center and drop by Starbucks or Noah's Bagels and I guarantee that you will meet an interesting character or two. I frequent Lincoln Center myself, so I'm included in the "interesting characters" group. You can even take a leisurely stroll by the Delta down at the waterfront. In the summer time there are fountains that kids, including adults, can cool off in. You meet a lot of nice people there too.

See, Stockton isn't so bad if you take a look around. I am a true believer that good things can be found here if you look for them.

2 comments:

  1. When I told friends I was moving to Stockton, they looked at me like I was crazy! Well, since moving here 3 months ago some days I can agree with them. However, Stockton has showed me how to slow down. With all the hustle and bustle I was used to, my life is simply a lot more simple! I love my new home along with learning about my new town =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. There is a lot of positive stuff in Stockton. Unfortunately, people tend to complain about the negative things instead of taking the time to see the good.

    ReplyDelete